Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The evolution of the eyebrow ...

Basic definition according to WikiPedia: The eyebrow is an area of thick, delicate hairs above the eye that follows the shape of the lower margin of the brow ridges of some mammals. Their main function is hypothesized to prevent sweat, water, and other debris from falling down into the eye socket, but they are also important to human communication and facial expression. It is not uncommon for people – women in particular – to modify their eyebrows by means of hair addition, removal, makeup, tattoo, or piercings.

But at some point those modifications have gone awry ... 


THE TRAGEDY !!


Trendy as it may be to sculpt the brow, not too many people have perfected the art ... Yes I said art. Now it's not rare to see women with eyebrows that look like they are filled in with magic marker and the foundation used to define them look like chalk outlines in a crime scene.

Over the past year or so I've noticed people paying more attention to their eyebrows ... Me included. I have it down to a science. If I'm having a good brow day, fuck my hair, fuck what I have on... I'm giving straight FACE all day. Paired with a nice pair of hoops, I can have my head wrap on and I'm serving more attitude than when I'm fresh out the salon chair.

It's almost like an obsession with me. I have inside jokes with friends about some over the over plucked or under tweezed brows I see on my Instagram timeline. It's so bad I even have my husband sending me screen shots captioned 'One of these things is not like the other'.


The Process


I had a friend of mine send me tutorial videos when I was just beginning to perfect my eyebrow journey (Shoutout @VivaGlam88) and it helped tremendously. Even though she's far more advanced than I am with a make up brush, I got the gist of things and modified her procedure to work for the amount of time I allot myself every morning. Because, really, who the fuck has time for that shit with an 18 month old (NOT THE FUCK ME, THAT'S WHO). I'm just trying to make sure they look more like identical twins than fraternal twins before I leave the house.

I hate on bitches with big thick brows who can get them arched to perfection and not have to fill them in. I wasn't blessed with em so I draw (yes draw) them on every single day. Go look at my Instagram (@nok_kane) and no two days will they look the same. But I be gat damned if they don't look good.

Listen to me when I say, it's not as hard as it seems. I promise. It's about finding the correct products to match your skin tone and hair color. I can't really say that yellow folk like myself shouldn't use black for their brows because when I got my make up done by Bo (@makeupbybo) for my husbands birthday party in October I had a smokey eye and dark brows (even though my hair is blonde). It looked good... really good. She's really a beast with her craft. She makes my poor excuse for a brow look like I was blessed by the Gods with Beyonce brows.


The Solution


All I'm saying is please (please please please) take a good look at your eyebrows before you leave the house. Take a step back from the mirror so you can see what I see when you approach me. Make sure they match, your arches don't look like your a spokesman for McDonalds, they aren't too long, they don't touch in the middle, and if you're sculpting them PLEASE BLEND YOUR FOUNDATION !!

Note to men:
YOUR EYEBROWS MATTER TOO!! There's nothing wrong with getting them tamed when you get a hair cut or shape up. No, you don't have to arch them ... But unibrows aren't attractive for either sex. Good grooming is a turn on to women. You'll thank me later.




1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed watching you prepare this like you were studying for the SATs

    ReplyDelete